Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hi!
I was thinking of getting a mini horse. How much (per month) does it cost to keep one?
Thanks!
~FroggieHow much does it cost to keep a mini horse?That will depend in large part on where you live, since things cost differently across the country and around the world. You might get more responses by asking what you will be spending your money on. Then check local ads to see what they typically cost in your area. Such as...

1. do you have a pasture, or will you be boarding it? In a stall, or on pasture?

2. what will you feed it? you'll need hay, and I'm not sure how much to feed a mini... someone who has actually fed one might give more info. grain... not a necessity, but you'll want to feed a little (oats, corn, mixed sweet feed, barley, etc.)

3. you'll need a halter & lead rope at the very least. Do you plan to use it to pull a buggy? If so, you'll need a buggy and harness.

4. annually, you'll need to have a Coggins test done, and annual vaccines recommended by your local vet, as well as a routine health exam. The cost of that varies greatly from one vet to another.

5. you'll also need farrier service every 8 wks or so, and dewormings according to the vet's recommended schedule

6. You may have to buy bedding, fly control, supplements, or other miscellaneous items.

6. How will you transport the horse? You'll need to buy a trailer, assuming you have a vehicle that will pull it, or you'll need access to a friend's or one to rent, in which case you'll need money to reimburse for gas or pay rent

7. Insurance. Not all horse owners get it, but it's nice to have.

I can't think of anything else right off, except grooming equipment, which will cost according to how much you buy and what brands. Maybe others will add more expected expenses.

I have 5 horses currently, but we live on a 900-acre farm. We have year-round grass and we grow and harvest our own hay. I purchase mixed feeds for about $7 per 50-lb bag, but I only feed a bag every other month or so. It's not a major part of my feeding program. Coggins test is $18 here, annual exam $25. Farrier is $40, but I do my own trimming, so for the last few years I haven't had to pay for that. No one wears shoes around here since I'm not riding a lot. Used horse trailer would cost about $1,200. Shavings $6 per bag, which will cover a 10x12 stall, but pretty shallow. I use two, but I don't muck out stalls regularly because horses are in and out, leaving me to purchase 10-12 bags a year. Good square bales of hay run $2.50-$3, and a friend feeds her five horses about 100 bales a year. They're also on grass in summer.

As you can see, fortunately, I'm on the cheaper end of maintaining a horse, but even then, the costs can add up. Especially if one is injured or sick, so be sure you have the means to provide emergency medical care.How much does it cost to keep a mini horse?Well lets put it this way My aunt lives on a small income and she has about 25-30! Maybe $200 - $300 a month.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment