Monday, February 6, 2012

Both of my 3 yrd old mini daschounds are very active, do lots of running and I keep them on a good diet. My concern however is that daschounds are prone to back problems which could shorten their life. What can I be doing to prevent that?How can I prevent my mini daschound from having back problems later in life?My brother has three..and really there diet is about the only thing that will help! He has one which had breathing problems and they put her on a diet and she is a whole other dog..loves playing and all that! Good luck!|||Keep them on a good diet- Royal Canin makes a daschound diet especially for them. Keep them at the proper body weight- your vet can help with this. Also, stop them from jumping up and down on high items- most injuries to the back are from jumping onto/off of a couch thats too high (even if they have done it 1000 times before with no problem)

Swimming is a great exercise that will help with back muscles. Unfortunately genetics do play some role and back issues may not all be avoided. Keep on top of it. There are surgical options available for those who have disc problems- but cross that bridge when AND IF you get there. Just enjoy your time with them (if only they all could live longer! )How can I prevent my mini daschound from having back problems later in life?Here are a couple of things that you can do:
1. To prevent from jumping up and down off high places, invest in doggy steps. I have a Corgi and he is short to the ground just like Daschounds. It has been a blessing to get these for the bed.

2. When you pick them up, place your hand on their chests and on the rear end to give equal support on both ends.|||keep lots of glucosamine in their diet, it will help with all athritis and bone problems. it is very good for any breed or age of dog or catHow can I prevent my mini daschound from having back problems later in life?keep them thin and consult with your breeder - he/she should be very very knowledgable .|||Keep them from jumping up on anything. Also prevent them from using steps.
You could also give them a Glucosimine supplement.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment