Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I have a balcony and want to start growing some vegetables but when the winter comes I want to keep growing my vegetables. What is the best way to build a mini greenhouse. ThanksWhat is the best way to build a mini greenhouse for my apartment?if you have access to the large water cooler bottles you can get a few of them...

cut the middle out. leave about 6 inches on the bottom and 8 inches on the top part.

put dirt in the bottom. you can put a few drain holes in the bottom

plant your veggies. put the top on and secure with a few pieces of tape (duct)

you can pull the top back to water and check on your plants.What is the best way to build a mini greenhouse for my apartment?Okay this is what I did.
Build a wood frame, just a simple square box with 12 pieces of wood about an inch thick. Four of those pieces are going to determine he length of your box. (Just for example say 2 feet long). For the other 8 piece's 1 to 1 1/2 feet should be fine. I actually used Picture hanging nails to nail the wood pieces together with a little wood glue in between as well.
Then in any Home supply store you can purchase plastic sheets of window insulation. I usually buy Frost King.
http://www.castlewholesalers.com/FROST-K鈥?/a>

I stapled a door sized sheet to the outside of one of the top long lengths of wood, (make sure its enough staples) then tape over the staples and Plastic with a waterproof tape. Actually Duct tape is fine if you鈥檙e not too worried about how it looks. Then wrap the plastic the entire way around the box. Repeat the stapling and taping all the way around on the next three pieces of wood leaving the last flap free, so you can get into the box.
Then do the same on the smaller ends. Just like your wrapping up a Christmas present for someone but using staples and tape. Keep in mind that every piece of wood will have staples and tape on them , But the top long flap will be loose so you can get to your plants.
Try and leave that flap long enough that you can either tuck it under the entire box or weigh it down somehow. (The purpose of that is to create enough insulation that you should not have to water your plants after the first initial watering.
If you do put this out on your balcony depending on where you live it may get too cold. What I simply did was put a heating pad under the box first, so I could just turn it on if the temperature got to cold. You can purchase a basic heating pad in any drug store.
It worked for me before I planted all my plants outside for the summer.
Good luck and have fun.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment